Thursday, June 13, 2013


Movie Poster Art: Five From The American Film Institute’s Top Ten


In 1998, the American Film Institute surveyed 1500 leaders in America’s motion picture industry-- directors, actors, critics, screenwriters, producers, historians-- to ask their help in listing the 100 Greatest American Movies of all time.  Films receiving the most votes were (in order): Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Wizard Of Oz, The Graduate, On The Waterfront, Schindler’s List, and Singin’ In The Rain

 

Citizen Kane, 1941, Director: Orson Welles



“I run a couple of newspapers.  What do you do?”

 

Casablanca, 1942, Director: Michael Curtiz



It is perhaps a strange circumstance that we both should be in love with the same woman. The first evening I came to this café, I knew there was something between you and Ilsa. Since no one is to blame, I - I demand no explanation. I ask only one thing. You won't give me the letters of transit: all right, but I want my wife to be safe. I ask you as a favor, to use the letters to take her away from Casablanca.”

 

The Godfather, 1972, Director: Frances Ford Coppola



“Mr Corleone never asks a second favor once he’s refused the first, understood?” 

 

The Graduate, 1967, Director: Mike Nichols



“Benjamin, I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you?" 

 

On The Waterfront. 1954, Director: Elia Kazan



“You don’t understand.  I coulda had class.  I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am…” 

 

THE MARKETPLACE

An easy and inexpensive way to build a collection of work by today's finest painters, sculptors, and photographers-- Greeting cards from Fine Art America.  Easier still: just browse the Louis R Nugent gallery at Fine Art America.  Choose from hundreds of unique ideas for home and office decor or holiday and birthday cards for yourself or that special someone.  Individual cards cost less than $5.  Wall prints start at only $22.
 

http://louis-nugent.artistwebsites.com/

Louis R Nugent Photography on Facebook @ louisnugent22.


Other Fine Art America sites for discriminating collectors:
http://fineartamerica.com/groups/west-texas.html

http://fineartamerica.com/groups/art-inspired-by-art.html

http://fineartamerica.com/groups/4-abstract.html

 

CREDITS

Note: Information for this essay is taken primarily from readily available sources such as Encyclopedia Britannica, Wikipedia, and almanacs.  When other sources are employed they are credited either in the text or as follows:  production and data film quotes from Internet Movie Database entries for Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, The Graduate, and On the Waterfront. All photographs are taken from Wikipedia or Google Images without source or authorship credits available, except as noted: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment